All about double chin liposuction surgery
While we’d all love to see a streamlined profile when we look in the mirror, some of us have excess fat resulting in a double chin — also known as submental fullness. A double chin can appear due to a number of factors, including genetics, weight, anatomy and the position of your airways..
Relax — you’re not alone!
Up to 68% of people struggle with a double chin and are unhappy about it.
Well, the good news is double chin liposuction can fix this and add contours to your face too!
What is double chin liposuction?
This procedure removes fat beneath the skin and contours the chin and neck. This is done under anaesthesia, with a small incision under the chin and the insertion of a cannula that vibrates and shakes the fat cells, causing them to loosen. Then, all the liquefied fat cells from the chin are suctioned out through the tube.
Why do you need this surgery?
Liposuction for double chin is used to get rid of excess fat under the chin. When you have droopy skin on your chin that does not improve with exercise, creams or other interventions, you may require chin liposuction and implant.
A double chin can be caused by a variety of factors, including ageing. Because of sun and environmental exposure, the skin quality of your neck and face area deteriorates and becomes wrinkled. Weight fluctuations may also result in a double chin, not just when you put on but when you lose a significant amount of weight too. People who want a contoured jawline and an improved overall appearance can opt for this surgical procedure.
Who is an ideal candidate for chin liposuction?
Double chin liposuction is ideal for anyone who has a bulging chin and wants to do something about it. Ask yourself the following questions before deciding on a chin liposuction procedure:
- Does lowering your face make your chin look even bulkier?
- Do you feel self-conscious when it comes to having your photo taken?
- Does the extra fat on your chin negatively impact the aesthetic look of your face?
If you answer yes to the above questions, then it’s a good idea to find out more before making a final decision.
If you meet the following criteria, then you’re a good candidate for chin liposuction:
- You have lots of fat underneath your chin
- You are dissatisfied with your chin
- You do not smoke
- You are in good physical and psychological health
- You have reasonable expectations for the outcome
What is the procedure for double chin liposuction?
Chin liposuction is performed as an outpatient procedure in a hospital or clinic treatment room. It lasts 1-2 hours under local anaesthesia, and the patient is then allowed to go home.
Our plastic surgeon will make a small incision beneath your chin during the procedure. The fat is broken down with a small cannula and suctioned out. The incisions are then sutured to close the wounds.
What should you expect during the recovery period?
- You will experience discomfort and pain for 2 to 3 days following surgery
- You should expect some bruising after surgery, and the doctor will prescribe antibiotics to reduce the likelihood of infection
- The surgeon may leave your incisions open and insert temporary drains to allow for additional fluid drainage
- You must rest for at least 5 to 6 days after the surgery
- You can expect the stitches to be removed 5 to 6 days post the procedure
What kind of aftercare should you expect post-surgery?
There will be tingling, swelling, and bruising around the incisions following surgery. You must practise proper aftercare by avoiding strenuous activities in the first few days. You should be fully recovered from this surgery within seven days.
Here are some guidelines to follow during the first seven days after surgery:
- Our specialist will fit your chin into a support garment, which you will be required to wear
- Sleep with your head raised on your back. Do not swivel your head from side to side
- You can apply ice to reduce swelling
- Do not miss your post-op checkups
What kind of results can you expect from double chin liposuction?
When the swelling has subsided after a few days, the results of the chin liposuction are visible. If you continue to maintain a healthy weight, the results can be long-lasting.
When can you get back to work after the procedure?
You should be able to get back to work and other day-to-day activities within a week or two. In general, chin liposuction recovery is faster than neck lift recovery. Our surgical team will provide you with instructions based on the nature of your surgery and recovery.
What are the benefits of chin liposuction?
Aside from reducing chin size, double chin liposuction provides the following advantages:
- As it is a minimally invasive procedure, the recovery is faster
- Has minimal side effects
- The downtime is quite low compared to other procedures
- Results in minimal scarring
- Eliminates your double chin and improves the appearance of your neck and jowls
- Helps to rectify a sagging jawline
- Enhances your face profile
- Restores a younger appearance
- Tightens the skin around the neck
- Boosts your self-esteem
When might you need to reach out to your surgeon after the surgery?
Our surgical team will advise you when to schedule follow-up appointments.
However, if you notice any of the following signs of infection, contact your surgeon right away:
- Bleeding, oozing, redness or swelling at the site of the incision
- Chest pain
- A fever that exceeds 100.5 degrees fahrenheit (38 degrees celsius)
- Medicines aren’t able to reduce the post-op pain
- Vomiting or nausea
Are the results from chin liposuction permanent?
The effects of chin liposuction are permanent if you maintain a consistent weight. If you gain weight later, it may sit around the chin area, but because we remove the majority of these fat cells and the fat pocket, development of a new double chin post-surgery is unlikely.
Contact us for safe and effective double chin liposuction
Our specialist Dr Adnan Tahir is a board-certified surgeon and a reconstruction surgery expert, with his patients’ care and safety his top priority. He is a compassionate professional and maintains a holistic approach in every case, treating each patient as a whole and unique person.. Dr Adnan also offers state-of-the-art facilities equipped with advanced technology and medical amenities.
To schedule a consultation, please contact us and our patient care staff will fix an appointment at your convenience.