Are you feeling unhappy with the results of your previous rhinoplasty? Do you think your nose looks unnatural or doesn’t match your facial features?
A revision rhinoplasty might be the solution you’re looking for!
What is a revision rhinoplasty?
Revision rhinoplasty is a procedure designed to correct any aesthetic or functional issues occurring with previous primary rhinoplasty or nose job gone wrong. So, whether you have breathing difficulties or are dissatisfied with the appearance of your nose, revision rhinoplasty can help you achieve your desired results.
Signs that you may need a revision rhinoplasty
Some signs that indicate you might need revision rhinoplasty include
- difficulty breathing
- persistent asymmetry or deformity
- dissatisfaction with the aesthetic result of the previous surgery
- or functional issues such as snoring or sleep apnea.
Other signs may include visible irregularities, a collapsed or pinched appearance, or changes in the shape of your nose over time.
If you experience these symptoms or are unhappy with the results of your previous rhinoplasty, it may be time to consider revision rhinoplasty and consult a revision rhinoplasty specialist like Dr Adnan Tahir to know what’s best for your nose.
What might cause the failure of your previous rhinoplasty?
Revision rhinoplasty is sometimes necessary to correct issues from a previous nose job. Some of the common reasons for nose job failures are:
- Poor planning
- Improper incision placement
- Excessive removal of septum cartilage or bone from the nasal bridge
- Movement in your nose due to improper aftercare
- Persistent swelling or slow healing
- Strenuous activity after surgery
Additionally, improper sleep position and unconscious sneezing can also affect the results of the rhinoplasty.
How different is revision rhinoplasty from primary rhinoplasty?
Primary rhinoplasty is a first-time rhinoplasty, or normal rhinoplasty, a cosmetic procedure that aims to reshape the nose and enhance facial harmony while addressing functional issues such as a deviated septum and breathing difficulties.
Rhinoplasty is popular for those seeking to improve their appearance and alleviate functional issues.
Meanwhile, revision rhinoplasty is a corrective procedure performed to ‘fix a previous unsuccessful or improper primary nose surgery’. The main goal of revision rhinoplasty is to achieve the desired results that were not accomplished during the initial surgery.
Revision rhinoplasty is a more complex and intricate procedure compared to primary rhinoplasty. The primary goal of revision rhinoplasty is to correct the flaws and imperfections of a previous nose job that did not achieve the desired results. This requires a higher level of skill, expertise, and experience from the surgeon, who has to navigate around scar tissue and work with the existing nasal structure.
Revision rhinoplasty procedure
Revision rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure performed under anaesthesia. Revision rhinoplasty often involves an open approach, which means a small incision is made on the columella, or the strip of skin between the nostrils, to gain better access to the nasal structures.
This approach allows the surgeon to see and manipulate the nasal tip and cartilage more precisely, resulting in a better outcome.
The procedure involves working on the upper and middle nose, including the bridge and cartilage, the nose tip, and functional components like the septum, turbinates (small structures inside the nose), and nasal valves.
During revision rhinoplasty, the surgeon may need to use cartilage grafts to rebuild the nose, as the previous surgery may have removed too much cartilage, leading to structural instability.
The use of grafts adds a new layer of complexity, requiring the surgeon’s expertise to select the right amount and type of cartilage for each patient.
The revision rhinoplasty procedure also involves adjusting the shape of the nose to reshape it from a bulbous to a conical shape (a bulbous nose may occur due to swelling from previous surgery or a dilapidated nose bridge).
Recovery and aftercare
After revision, rhinoplasty, proper recovery, and aftercare are crucial to ensure the best results.
This includes using:
- Cold or warm compresses to reduce swelling and pain
- Cleaning surgical incisions twice a day
- Keeping the head elevated while resting or sleeping
It’s also important to avoid exercise and strenuous activity that could put pressure on the nose. While complete recovery can take up to a year, most people can resume normal activities within two weeks of the surgery. However, it’s important to continue avoiding activities that could potentially impact the nose during the healing process.
Also Read: Open Vs Closed Rhinoplasty
Life-changing benefits of revision rhinoplasty
While you may experience some discomfort after surgery, a revision rhinoplasty will offer you many benefits including:
- Enhanced facial harmony: Revision rhinoplasty can correct the asymmetries of the nose and improve facial balance, providing a more aesthetically pleasing appearance
- Improved breathing: Revision rhinoplasty can correct structural abnormalities in the nose that contribute to breathing problems, such as a deviated septum, and improve overall nasal function
- Symmetrical and conical nose tip: Revision rhinoplasty can refine the shape of the nose, particularly the tip, to achieve a more refined and balanced appearance
- Increased self-confidence: By improving the appearance of the nose, revision rhinoplasty can help boost self-confidence and improve quality of life
- Correction of previous surgery: Revision rhinoplasty can correct any unsatisfactory results from a primary rhinoplasty, providing the desired outcome that was not achieved in the initial procedure
Why choose Dr Adnan Tahir as your revision rhinoplasty specialist?
Dr Adnan Tahir is an experienced and highly skilled plastic surgeon with 20+ years of experience. He has a keen eye for facial aesthetics and a deep understanding of complex nasal anatomy.
Many patients who have consulted Dr Adnan with an unsatisfactory previous rhinoplasty have had successful correction or revisional rhinoplasty.
Book an appointment with Dr Adnan today and reclaim your confidence with revision rhinoplasty.